Marker Program FAQ

QQA Historic Building Marker Program: Frequently Asked Questions

Revised 2023

How can I get a marker for my historic house or building?

To participate in the QQA’s historic building marker program, you must first submit an application.    

To get a link to the application click here

Which buildings are eligible for a marker?

To be considered for a Marker, a building must satisfy five general criteria: 

  1. The building must be located throughout greater Little Rock
  2. The building must be a contributing structure in a National Register historic district or be individually listed or eligible for individual listing in the National Register of Historic Places, as determined by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program.
  3. The construction date and ownership history of the building must be documented.
  4. If the building has been rehabilitated (as opposed to maintained), all exterior work must be complete.
  5. Rehabilitation work must generally conform to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation and Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings (see

What is the selection process? 

  • Applications will be reviewed by a five-member Marker Committee appointed by the QQA Board of Directors.  The Marker Committee will meet as necessary to review applications.   Successful applicants will be notified in writing as soon as a building is approved for a Marker. 
  • If a building does not meet the guidelines, the Committee will suggest ways the building can be made eligible for a Marker.   Owners who re-submit applications will follow the same procedure as first-time applicants.
  • In reviewing applications, the Marker Committee will use the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation, along with the Secretary’s Guidelines for Rehabilitating Historic Buildings, which are more specific than the general criteria that must be met in order to apply for a Marker.
  • Once an application is approved, the property owner and QQA will sign an agreement.

How much does it cost to participate in the Marker Program?

Fees for participating in the QQA Historic Building Marker Program are as follows: 

  • Pole-mounted marker + installation + tax and, if necessary, removal of existing marker: $1,020 including installation and taxes. 
  • Wall-mounted marker + installation + tax and, if necessary, removal of existing marker: $815 including installation and taxes. 

What do the markers look like?

The markers are aluminum, sized 14 inches wide by 12 inches high.  Their design will allow them either to be attached to the wall of a building or pole-mounted.  Each Marker will give a building’s historic name and construction date.  The design also incorporates the Quapaw Quarter Association’s name and logo, conveying the QQA’s support for the manner in which the building has been maintained or rehabilitated. 

When do I pay the program fee?

When your application is approved, you will be notified in writing when the full payment is due.  The QQA must receive your payment before the marker order is placed.   

Where will the markers be located? 

Once your application is approved, the QQA will work with you to determine a specific location.  

As a general guideline: 

  • Pole-mounted markers should be placed 5’ to 8’ back from the sidewalk, within 5’ on either side of the walk to the front steps of the building.
  • Pole-mounted markers should be no higher than 4’ when installed, unless circumstances dictate otherwise.
  • Wall-mounted markers should be approximately 5’ high, within 3’ on either side of a building’s front door.

If my building is approved for a marker, do I have to install and maintain it? 

No.  The QQA will coordinate the installation of your marker and the removal of your old marker if necessary.  The aluminum markers were designed to be virtually maintenance free.  However, property owners are expected to maintain their buildings in accordance with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.  

How long will the markers last? 

The markers have a lifetime warranty for materials and finish.  

If my building is in the MacArthur Park Historic District, or the Capitol Area or Mansion Area of Capitol Zoning, will I need a permit? 

Yes, a permit is required.  However, the QQA will apply on behalf of property owners, and HDC applications may be approved at the staff level.  

How can I find the information needed for the application? 

The QQA has Little Rock City Directories that may be used to help document ownership history.  Call the QQA office at (501) 371-0075 ext. 4 to make an appointment.