Who We Are

Historic Districts & Neighborhoods

Capitol View Neighborhood Historic District:

This district is directly west of downtown Little Rock and includes roughly 1500 homes. Many of the homes in this district date to the period 1920-1929.

Central High School Neighborhood Historic District and Boundary Increase:  

Named after the internationally known Little Rock Central High School, this district gives architectural context to the National Historic Landmark school. The district includes homes and commercial buildings from two periods, 1900-1914 and 1920-1930.

Oak Forest Neighborhood:

Platted in 1907, this district didn’t see a large amount of development until the 1930s, with its largest building boom from the era between 1940 and 1949.  

Hillcrest Historic District:

This district was originally part of the town of Pulaski Heights and incorporates many of the neighborhoods in that city. Pulaski Heights was annexed into the city of Little Rock in 1916. Contributing buildings in this district were constructed between 1890 and 1920.

Stifft Station Historic District:

Located just west of the Capitol View neighborhood, this area was originally a “streetcar suburb” of Little Rock, this district is named after Charles Stifft, an early developer of the area.  The name also refers to a streetcar station that was located near the current commercial area along Markham Street.

Paul Laurence Dunbar Neighborhood Historic District:

Located in central Little Rock, this district was originally developed between 1890 and 1915. It was a racially integrated neighborhood, but by the 1960s the demographics of the area was predominantly African-American. It is named after Dunbar High School, and includes homes of well-known Arkansans, including the lawyer Scipio A. Jones.

Philander Smith College Historic District

Downtown and River Market Area   

  • Capitol–Main Historic District: Encompassing about 2 and ½ blocks of Capitol Street and a block on Main and a block on 6th Street, this commercial district includes building built before WWII.

  • East Markham Street Historic District: Including four commercial buildings on the 300 block of Markham, this district was constructed between 1876 and 1905.   

  • Main Street Commercial Historic District: This district includes ten commercial buildings on the 300 block of Main Street built after a 1900 fire leveled the block. The buildings were constructed between 1905 and 1955.

  • MacArthur Park Historic District‎: This area surrounding MacArthur Park and the Tower Building of the Little Rock Arsenal (a National Historic Landmark) includes some of the oldest residential structures in the city.   

  • Tuf Nut Historic District: Including two commercial buildings at 300-312 South Rock Street and 423 east 3rd Street, this district is named after Tuf Nut Garment Manufacturing Company that built these structures in 1922 and 1927.

  • West 7th Street Historic District: This collection of commercial buildings located on the 800-1100 block of West 7th Street were built between 1906 and 1951.

  • Railroad Call Historic District: Located on the 100 block of South Pulaski Street,  this district includes three houses that served as homes for workers who built the nearby Missouri Pacific Railroad Station.

East Village Area   

  • Hanger Hill Historic District: The houses on the 1500 block of Welch Street were built between 1906 and 1912. Several homes in this district are notable for their use of concrete block construction.

Governor’s Mansion Area  

  • Governor’s Mansion Historic District: Located south of downtown, this area is one of the largest historic districts in the city. It is named after the official residence of the Governor of Arkansas, located within the district boundaries. Most of the development of the district happened between 1880 and 1940.

  • South Scott Street Historic District: Including the 2400 block of Scott Street and one block of 24th street, this district preserves modest middle-class homes built from 1890-1950.

North Little Rock Area

  • Argenta Historic District: With a commercial and residential section, this district encompasses commercial buildings constructed between 1900 and 1940 and residential buildings that include mostly Craftsman style homes with a few notable Queen Anne and Colonial Revival style homes.  

  • Fort Logan Roots Military Post Historic District and North Little Rock Veterans Administration Hospital Historic District: These two districts include virtually the entire campus of Fort Logan H. Roots in North Little Rock. The fort has preserved many of its original buildings that surround a large parade grounds.

  • Park Hill Historic District: Developed starting in 1922 by Justin Matthews, this district includes 172 acres in the central portion of North Little Rock.  Most of the structures in this district were built in the 1940s and 1950s.

South Main (SoMa) Area  

  • South Main Street Residential Historic District: Located between 19th and 23rd streets along south Main Street, this district includes several homes and apartment buildings constructed between 1880 and 1945.

  • South Main Street Apartments Historic District: This district includes two identical apartment buildings located at 2209 and 2213 Main Street built in the Colonial Revival Style. They were built in 1941 with assistance from the Federal Housing Administration.

  • South Main Street Commercial Historic District: Covering five blocks of South Main Street, this district was built between 1905 and 1950 and now encompasses the commercial area of the “SoMa” neighborhood.

  • Marshall Square Historic District: Sixteen identical houses located on 17th and 18th streets between Vance and McAlmont streets in the Pettaway area were built between 1917 and 1918 by Josephus C. Marshall.

  • Pettaway Neighborhood: Known as the East of Broadway Neighborhood originally, the Pettaway neighborhood is just east of the South Main Commercial Historic District. In the early 2000s,  residents named the neighborhood after Reverend Charles Pettaway, who was an important influence on medical care and spiritual life for African-Americans in the early 20th century.

Van Frank Cottages:

This district includes four houses on the 500 block of East 15th Street that were built in 1908 for Philip R. Van Frank.